Monday, October 21, 2013

Mile 25 of 26.2 at Columbus Marathon 2013


As I got down toward High St on Sunday afternoon to cheer for the winners running the Columbus Marathon, I realized that I forgot all my cash. Not a great feeling for someone training themselves to improve their memory. Anyway, I found myself in the parking lot of Giant Eagle on the corner of Buttles and Neil Ave. It just so happens that is where the 25th mile checkpoint was. For those of you that do not know, to finish a full marathon you must run 26.2 miles. So I got to see these determined, highly motivated participants toward the end of their race. I saw it all too.

Smiles. Frowns. Blank looks. Dehydration. Pain. Frustration. Determination. Guts. Excitement. Encouragement. Participants were wearing it all. If you have never been down to spectate a marathon, I strongly encourage it. All the emotion you may experience is incredible and I doubt anyone can leave without feeling inspired. To know that these runners trained for months for this one day. To see all the obstacles they have to fight just to finish. To see ALL the support they receive from their loved ones. It's all worth it.


Friend and client Amanda Scalise still going strong


"I need a high five."
"I'm just trying to finish this thing and get home in time for kickoff."
"Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!"
"Thank you."
"You're awesome."
"Are we almost there?"
"I appreciate you coming down here, it means a lot."

These were words spoken to me by several different runners as I paced around clapping and shouting.


No comments:

Post a Comment